1873 -- Eighty-five persons from the Old Bell Church, lead by Rev. Washington Waller established a new church of freed slaves living in a settlement in “Freedman’s Village” located in what is now Arlington National Cemetery.
April 1874 -- The Antioch Baptist Church was recognized according to the Baptist Church Director. After a short period, in Southwest Washington DC., the church returned to Johnson’s Hall then located on Columbia Pike in Arlington, Virginia.
Antioch Baptist Church changes its name to Mount Olive Baptist Church at the suggestion of Pastor Waller’s wife.
After several years under the direction of different pastors Mt. Olive once again found herself in need of an under shepherd and God answered her prayers.
February 1938 -- Reverend Aaron Mackley came to us and for 55 years, it was a great love affair between a pastor and his people. At the tender age of 23, he assumed the pastor ship. Truly a leader in every respect, Pastor Mackley added to the spiritual and physical growth of the Church.
December 24, 1939 -- The corner stone was laid and on May 5, 1940, a newly renovated building was dedicated to the service of God.
Shortly thereafter, the War Department ordered the vacation of the church property to make way for roads leading to what is now “the Pentagon”.
December 1942 -- The corner stone was laid for the new building and in late 1944 the church moved into a new home in Johnson’s Hill or Arlington View as it is known today.
1948 -- Mt. Olive began airing Sunday services over WARL radio station.
1985 -- Mount Olive began to hold two services each Sunday.
1989 -- Mount Olive moved into its current facility with an enlarged sanctuary and more classroom space for the Church.
July 13, 1993 -- Rev. Dr. Mackley resigned from active pastorship and was raised to Pastor Emeritus in honor of his 5 decades of visionary leadership.
1995 -- Rev. Anton T. Wesley, was called to be the eighth pastor of Mount Olive. The Church appointed its first Assistant Pastor, Reverend R.E. Torrence and licensed several sons into the ministry.
April 2002 -- the Reverend James E. Victor Jr. accepted the pastorship of Mount Olive Baptist Church.
2003 -- the church embarked on an visioning and strategic planning process seeking God’s direction for this body of Christ.
2006 -- Mt. Olive embraces a new vision to be “an inclusive family of believers committed to growth in and spread of the gospel of Jesus Christ; showing unity and Christian love in action by reaching out to our immediate community and beyond.”